** Translate **

146. Asal Usul Nama Malioboro

In Sanskrit, the word "malioboro" means a wreath. It may have something to do with the past when the Palace held a big event then the malioboro street will be filled with flowers.

The word malioboro also comes from the name of a British colonial named "Marlborough" who had lived there in 1811-1816 AD The establishment of malioboro road coincided with the establishment of the Sultan's palace (Sultan's Residence).
The initial embodiment that is part of the concept of the city in Java, the malioboro Road is arranged as a north-south imaginary axis that correlates with the Keraton to Mount Merapi in the northern and southern seas as a supernatural symbol. In the colonial era (1790-1945) the urban pattern was disrupted by the Dutch who built the Vredeburg fort (1790) at the southern end of Malioboro street. In addition to building Dutch fortress also built Dutch Club (1822), the Dutch Governor's Residence (1830), Java Bank and post office to maintain their dominance in Yogyakarta.
Rapid development occurred at that time caused by trade between the Dutch with the Chinese. And also due to the division of land in the sub-segment of Jalan Malioboro by the Sultan to the Chinese community and then known as the District of China.

The development at that time was dominated by the Dutch in building facilities to improve their economy and strength, such as the construction of the main station (1887) at Jalan Malioboro, which physically managed to divide the road into two parts. Meanwhile, the Malioboro avenue has an important role in the era of independence (post-1945), as Indonesians struggle to defend their independence in the North-South fighting along the way.

It is now the largest tourist center in Yogyakarta, with a history of Dutch colonial architecture blended with Chinese and contemporary commercial areas. The sidewalks on both sides of the street are crowded with small stalls selling a variety of merchandise. At night some of the open dining places, called lesehan, operate along the way. The road for many years became a two-way street, but in the 1980s it had become one of the only directions, from the railway to the south to the Beringharjo Market.

The oldest and oldest Dutch era hotel, Hotel Garuda, is located at the north end of the road on the East side, adjacent to the railway line. There is also a former Dutch-era complex house, the Prime Minister, a squad that has now become a provincial government office.

Malioboro is also a historical development of Indonesian literary arts. In the Indonesian Poetry Anthology in Yogyakarta 1945-2000 entitled "MALIOBORO" for the book, a book of 110 poets who had lived in Yogyakarta for more than half a century.

In the 1970s, Malioboro grew into a center of dynamic art and culture of Jogjakarta. Malioboro Street becomes a 'stage' for the "street artists" with the center of Senisono building. But the life force of street art was finally stalled in the 1990s after the Senisono building was closed.

========================================

Dalam bahasa Sansekerta, kata “malioboro” bermakna karangan bunga. Mungkin ada hubungannya dengan masa lalu ketika Keraton mengadakan acara besar maka jalan malioboro akan dipenuhi dengan bunga.

Kata malioboro juga berasal dari nama seorang kolonial Inggris yang bernama “Marlborough” yang pernah tinggal disana pada tahun 1811-1816 M. Pendirian jalan malioboro bertepatan dengan pendirian keraton Yogyakarta (Kediaman Sultan).

Perwujudan awal yang merupakan bagian dari konsep kota di Jawa, Jalan malioboro ditata sebagai sumbu imaginer utara-selatan yang berkorelasi dengan Keraton ke Gunung merapi di bagian utara dan laut Selatan sebagai simbol supranatural. Di era kolonial (1790-1945) pola perkotaan itu terganggu oleh Belanda yang membangun benteng Vredeburg (1790) di ujung selatan jalan Malioboro. Selain membangun benteng belanda juga membangun Dutch Club (1822), the Dutch Governor’s Residence (1830), Java Bank dan kantor Pos untuk mempertahankan dominasi mereka di Yogyakarta.

Perkembangan pesat terjadi pada masa itu yang disebabkan oleh perdagangan antara orang belanda dengan orang cina. Dan juga disebabkan adanya pembagian tanah di sub-segmen Jalan Malioboro oleh Sultan kepada masyarakat cina dan kemudian dikenal sebagai Distrik Cina.
 
Perkembangan pada masa itu didominasi oleh Belanda dalam membangun fasilitas untuk meningkatkan perekonomian dan kekuatan mereka, Seperti pembangunan stasiun utama (1887) di Jalan Malioboro, yang secara fisik berhasil membagi jalan menjadi dua bagian. Sementara itu, jalan Malioboro memiliki peranan penting di era kemerdekaan (pasca-1945), sebagai orang-orang Indonesia berjuang untuk membela kemerdekaan mereka dalam pertempuran yang terjadi Utara-Selatan sepanjang jalan.
 
Sekarang ini merupakan jalan pusat kawasan wisatawan terbesar di Yogyakarta, dengan sejarah arsitektur kolonial Belanda yang dicampur dengan kawasan komersial Cina dan kontemporer. Trotoar di kedua sisi jalan penuh sesak dengan warung-warung kecil yang menjual berbagai macam barang dagangan. Di malam hari beberapa tempat makan terbuka, disebut lesehan, beroperasi sepanjang jalan. Jalan itu selama bertahun-tahun menjadi jalan dua arah, tetapi pada 1980-an telah menjadi salah satu arah saja, dari jalur kereta api ke selatan sampai Pasar Beringharjo.
 
Hotel jaman Belanda terbesar dan tertua jaman itu, Hotel Garuda, terletak di ujung utara jalan di sisi Timur, berdekatan dengan jalur kereta api. Juga terdapat rumah kompleks bekas era Belanda, Perdana Menteri, kepatihan yang kini telah menjadi kantor pemerintah provinsi.
 
Malioboro juga menjadi sejarah perkembangan seni sastra Indonesia. Dalam Antologi Puisi Indonesia di Yogyakarta 1945-2000 memberi judul “MALIOBORO” untuk buku tersebut, buku yang berisi 110 penyair yang pernah tinggal di yogyakarta selama kurun waktu lebih dari setengah abad.
 
Pada tahun 1970-an, Malioboro tumbuh menjadi pusat dinamika seni budaya Jogjakarta. Jalan Malioboro menjadi ‘panggung’ bagi para “seniman jalanan” dengan pusatnya gedung Senisono. Namun daya hidup seni jalanan ini akhirnya terhenti pada 1990-an setelah gedung Senisono ditutup.